Tuesday, July 14, 2009

That Post I Promised

Okay, so remember the post that I said I wrote but the internet freaked out? Here it is. Pretend this was written about a week ago.

I know it's been about thirty years since my last post, but I just haven't had the motivation. I figure nobody really reads this, and those who do already know what's going on.


But I'll enlighten you with a little update I guess. Don't get too excited and think this is going to become something I do frequently. ;)


Right now, and for the past week and a half, I've been roaming around Nevada/California.
Just kidding, I haven't been roaming, but I have been in good ole' Nevada and Cali. I have family up here, and we're staying with them.


Last week, we all went to Graeagle, California and went camping! It was so much fun. We came back today. I got really tan (for me anyways) but i think it's going peeling. So sad. Anyways, it was very relaxing. We had about five hammocks set up. And I read a total of four books while I was there. The Giver, At First Sight, The Glass Castle, and Stargirl. All very good. If I had to put them in order, I would probably say At First Sight was my favorite. And then I can't decide between The Giver and The Glass Castle. And then Stargirl was good, just not as good as the others. Thanks Erin and Zach for letting me borrow those! I've been a reading machine the past two weeks; I'll be asking for more when I get home! Haha.


Anyways, there was a beautiful little creek down by the campsite. So we spent quite a bit of time down there. One of the days we took a three hour hike flowing the creek upstream to a set of waterfalls up the mountain! It was absolutely breath-taking. Oh, and, the water was FREEZING! it's snow melted, so I couldn't feel my feet by the end of it (we had to walk through the water most of the time). So it took about 2 hours to get to the waterfall (we did stop for a little lunch/snack). And then we had three choices: go further up the mountain to MORE waterfalls, go back the way we came through the freezing water, or climb up this really steep hill through the forest until we got to a road that we could walk on to get to camp. My cousin, Bobby (he's about 30), Garrett, Morgan, and the "neighbor" kid Cameron decided to continue up the mountain. So I was stuck with the others and had to do what they wanted to do. So Aunt Julie, Mom, Bre (Bobby's fiance), my cousins Brooke and Molly, and "neighbor" girl Rachel, and I decided to brave it through the forest and find the road. Basically, it was so steep in some spots that we had to be on all fours. And then other times it was really flat and we had to walk through weeds and fallen trees. And then Mom, Bre, and I got separated from the rest of the group. They continued straight while we decided to take a little path. Eventually, we saw the road. But it was at about an 80-85 degree incline about maybe 30 yards up. And not only that, but it was all rocks. So we climbed up it. I rock-climbed in the wilderness! No harness, nothing. If I put any weight on the little rocks, they would tumble down. So I had to STREEETTTCCCHHH to get to the big rocks. If the adrenaline wasn't pumping so hard, I probably would've broken down crying saying "I just can't do it!" like I did when I fell at the very top of the mountain skiing in April. It was probably the most exciting thing I've ever done. While I was balancing on the rocks waiting for Mom to climb up so I had room to move, I was thinking "If I fall and tumble down this hill thing filled with sharp rocks and bushes, will my body immediately black out so that I'm not awake when I feel the pain? Or will I stay conscious and be able to remember it - if I live?" Well, I didn't get to find out. Hahahah


That was the most exciting thing that happened all week.
Oh, and the fireworks show. The fireworks were so big and close to us that when they popped off, the BOOM rattled your bones. It was amazing.

1 comment:

Zach said...

Tight! I heart hiking.