Saturday, February 27, 2010

Podunk.

This has been an emotional week. I'm not even sure why.

Thursday I had an Observation for Teaching Techniques. The class we were observing is in Noble, this little podunk town outside of Norman. It's literally about four streets by four streets wide. This is key to find the irony in this story.

So I got a ride with my friend Andy, Julia, and P.J. so that I wouldn't feel the pressure of driving. I hate driving to places I don't know. So we all cram into Andy's little mustang hotrod (he strikes me as more of a big red, hick truck kind of guy) and drive to Noble. The class starts at 10:45 am. We leave about 10:30, which should be enough time to get to Noble Middle School. However, nobody looked up directions on how to get there because we all assumed somebody else would (you know what they say about when you assume...). But luckily, Julia had her iPhone and mapquested it. So we're driving along, all hunky dory, and we're following the directions perfectly, and it brings us to Pioneer Intermediate/Elementary School. Not the right place. So then we drive a little farther down the street (and by a little further I literally mean one block) and see this other school looking building. We also see some of our friends from class walking out of the building. They say it's an administration building, and they got directions. So we follow them. Those directions took us to Noble High School. Not the right place. So then some of our OTHER friends from class call Andy asking if we had found it yet. Nope. But those other friends had gotten directions from this lady on the street, so we followed their directions. It took us to an elementary school. Not the right place. But we saw this other school a little up the street so we went there. ANOTHER elementary school. Not the right place! Finally we just decide to drive around to the ONLY place we hadn't driven, and guess what? We found the middle school. We walk into the classroom forty-five minutes late, sit down, and about two minutes later, the class is dismissed. We spent forty-five minutes driving no father than three streets horizontally and about six streets vertically looking for this dumb middle school. What a story!

Last night, Jon, Ethan, Kaylie and I went to see 2012. I felt like the movie was drawn on too long, and too unrealistic. The main character, Jackson, makes all these close escapes without even a scratch! I was over the movie when he fell into the pit created by an earthquake/volcanoe, and climbed out totally unscathed. Anyways, ironically, today there are tsunami threats in Hawaii, Alaska, and California. Freaky.

And today I went job hunting. NOBODY is hiring right now. But I guess I'll still apply.
Oh and, I had made plans to go to some free swing dance lessons with Jon, except Jon didn't know about it. I just told him not to plan anything after 5:30. I called him and he was working on a lab with his lab group and said he'd have to stay late. The lessons started at 6, and I still haven't heard from him. I'm really upset. So I think I'll go practice bassoon and piano now to relieve my emotions.
I was really looking forward to this.

No comments: