Thursday, January 7, 2010

Annoyance

Annoyance: When people who are in no way affiliated with a college use the first person when referring to said college's football team.

Example:

Non-Student/Non-Alum/Non-Family-Member-of-Student-or-Alum: Man, we almost had that game. But at least we had class and kept fighting. We'll win next year!

I understand using "we" if you were associated with and had actual ties to the team. Yes, I occasionally say "we" when referring to OU's football team (Example: We won!). However, if I went to a private college or a junior college or no college at all, I would never include myself as part of a team. I wouldn't even say "we" when talking about A&M, and that's where my mom went!

Basically, the football team plays football. The team practices a million hours a week. The team undergoes more stress and pressure than anyone could imagine. Everyone else sits in the stands or on their couches or in a bar and watches the game. The team reacts to the outcome of the game. The fans (which are separated from the team) react differently. Especially fans who don't/didn't go to that school.

You, fan, do not have class because of what the football team did. The football team has class because of what the football team did.

No comments: