Friday, January 8, 2010

The Wedding

I feel like I've been updating my blog A LOT lately. I kind of like it. Maybe I'll try to keep up with it when school starts? Although I'm nearly 92% certain that nobody but Zach reads it. (Not even Jon! I have to tell him to read certain posts if I want him to read it. It feels incredibly lame.) Anyways... maybe I'll put this on my facebook or something? I don't know. (Side note: It made me smile when my computer underlined "facebook" in red telling me it wasn't a real word.)

ANYWAYS

I hope the title of this blog didn't give you false hope or anxiety or anything. It's merely the title of the book I'm reading. I'm about forty pages from the end. I posted a blog earlier about it when I found out it was a follow up to The Notebook (my all time favorite book AND movie.) The main characters in this book are the daughter and son-in-law of Noah and Allie, the main characters in The Notebook, and the book is told from the son-in-law's, Wilson's, point of view.

The point of this blog, is to let you know how much I think men in general would benefit from reading this book. I love all of Nicholas Sparks' books. But this one seems to really speak about the types of things that let a woman know you love her.

Here's the summary from the back of the book:
After thirty years, Wilson Lewis is forced to face a painful truth. His wife, Jane, has fallen out of love with him, and it entirely his fault. Despite the shining example of his in-laws, Noah and Allie Calhoun, and their fifty-year love affair, Wilson is unable to express his true feelings. He has spent too little time at home and too much at the office. Now his daughter is about to marry, and his wife is thinking about leaving him. But if Wilson is sure of anything, it's this: His love for Jane has grown over the years, and he will do anything he can to save their marriage. With the memories of Noah and Allie's inspiring life together as his guide, he vows to find a way to make his wife fall in love with him... all over again.
So, I admit the summary isn't too captivating. But the whole book is full of memories of how Jane and Wilson met and why they loved each other in the first place and memories of Noah and Allie's life post-marriage, but pre-Alzheimers (which is not talked about in The Notebook). And Wilson figures out the perfect anniversary gift and just everything he's doing to make her fall in love with him. And it's less about what he does and more about how his attitude towards her and their relationship changes. It's just beautiful, and it's not hidden in a metaphor. It's simply stated.

Basically, I think anybody could learn a lot from this book (I know I have), but more specifically men. Because the things Wilson does in this book aren't necessarily impossible (expensive, yes, but he's also a partner in a law firm) and it just shows how simple showing how much you love someone can be.

I know I'm a hopeless romantic. I'm a girl. The ideas of love fill my mind more often than not. And I know in general guys hate romantic books. But, boy, you could sure learn a lot about what women ideally want if you just picked up a book.

3 comments:

Zach said...

I read books! ha.

And maybe someone other than me would read your blog if you didn't randomly not update it for 7 months :)

Also, I think I'm beginning to realize that I'm a hopeless romantic as well. It's weird.

taylor.kristine said...

Yeah yeah yeah. I know. It was just a busy, yet somehow uneventful summer/semester. I don't really like talking about what I did that day or something unless something significant happens. And I'm not really one to spill my feelings to the internet. So I'm working on finding a happy medium. Yes?

Good! We need more hopeless romantic men in the world!

I miss you.

Erin Lynn said...

I READ IT!!!